What to wear:
● Footwear: Waterproof walking boots suitable for the terrain and season, with full, aboveankle support and treaded sole.
● Socks: Proper hillwalking socks.
● Baselayer: Synthetic wicking material or merino wool, not cotton.
● Mid Layer: Fleece, soft shell or synthetic insulation.
● Walking trousers: Comfortable and quick drying. No denims.
● Waterproof jacket with adjustable hood.
● Waterproof over-trousers. Gaiters.
● Hat/cap and gloves/mitts.
● Watch or method of telling the time.
● Rucksack (25 to 35 litres) + drybags: Well fitted, correctly adjusted and comfortable. A
padded hip belt will help distribute the load from your shoulders to your hips.
● Emergency Contact Details: On mobile phone or written on inside pocket of rucksack.
In your Rucksack:
● Map and Compass.
● All hillwalkers and ramblers must carry a Survival Bag.
● Mobile Phone + Whistle + Headtorch.
● Reusable bottle(s) or bladder/platypus of water + extra for hot weather/emergencies.
● Food, energy snacks, sweets + extra for emergencies.
● Flask of hot drink or soup, particularly for cold weather/emergencies.
● Extra gloves/mitts, caps, buffs, balaclava(winter) and warm mid layer.
● Sunglasses, sunscreen, SPF lip balm, sun hat, insect repellent.
● Emergency Kit (in small drybag): 6 antiseptic wipes, 6 waterproof plasters, 2 Compeed,
spare boot laces +torch batteries, tick removal tool, personal medication, 2 Dioralyte
sachets, Keep in accessible pocket of rucksack.
● Personal First Aid kit.
● Yellow high-viz vest.
● Walking poles.
● Sit mat.
● Mobile phone navigation app or a hand GPS unit.
● Small power bank (5,000 mAHr)+ cable– to charge a mobile phone/GPS.
Additional Equipment for Walk Leaders:
● Group First Aid kit ——————————carried by a member of the Group.
● Bothy Shelter (Hillwalks, Rambles) ——– carried by a member of the Group.
● A Survival Bag on Short Walks ————- carried by a member of the Group.
● Navigation App on mobile phone ( e.g.Viewranger ) or a hand GPS Unit.
● Orange Leader’s high-viz vest.
What to wear: